Friday 1 April 2011

"We've come a long way baby" (8)

My grandmother is my best friend. When I can't stand my parents or anyone else, she is always there. She sends me weekly "Nana's Nuggest" filled with advice and helpful bible versus. She is one of the most Godly woman that I know, and I look up to her because of it. When Ms. Tally told us that over Spring Break we were to interview an older women in our life, I realized that I had never really talked to my grandmother about her early life.


During the interview, after a series of questions I asked her, "What else would you like to add to our study of American women's experience and perspective," she replied with a quote from a very popular cigerette commercial from back when she was younger. Her response was


"'We've have come along way baby (a popular quote for Virginia Slim adds),'" It showed the world that women could now do the same things that men did. They could smoke, drink and go out, things that they never could do. But on the other hand, I think that a lot was lost. Women lost their neatness. We were so protected and cherished, or at least in my community we were. A man would always come to your door to meet your parents, hold doors open for you, and give you the respect that you deserved. I think that that is a good thing, that we lost as women."


After I heard her concluded the interview with that statement, it got me thinking. She was right, we, as woman, have lost a lot of that respect she was talking about. We can't place total blame on men for this however, because by the way some girls dress and act these days does not make it easy to respect us. We were born into a society where women sell themselves for sex, men and women cheat on their spouses and divorce is more common than marriage. What has the world come too? Why has this become okay? Am I old fashion for believe that its not okay? I think it is time that women win back the respect they had. I am not saying that women do not have respect at all, because there are a lot of women I do respect, but I think that its a lot less common for men to respect us as a whole.


With all that said, we have come a long way. Women are taking control and proving themselves, which back in my grandmothers days was very uncommon. "There were not working women back then, it was all run by men, it was strange. Now there are women all over the place, and I like it."




http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiU7sGgjCgFfNI6jhrau3DOEVUPmHedKAoxf__fpkZIRbQyE60A-SkEKSjOAHS54oQOStLNV3wBSOBJ8N-LZWZc2SZpV7H9x8A1ESzZVf1Em6WYBdQkj01jcdwJARtSW4Deg4yckFIpbFc/s320/Virginia%252BSlimsMarlboro--you've%252Bcome%252Ba%252Blong%252Bway%252Bbaby%252B2--various%252Bwomen's%252B83.jpg&imgrefurl=http://virginia-alex.blogspot.com/&usg=__tF4IVF4Pf0DzlbVMSu1apxrRuWY=&h=320&w=235&sz=22&hl=en&start=0&sig2=SdYhczkjfR2phA9upNdnjA&zoom=1&tbnid=PoQMRGRLTWca7M:&tbnh=133&tbnw=107&ei=heaVTer_FYq64AaF0KmqDA&prev=/images%3Fq%3DYou%2527ve%2Bcome%2Ba%2Blong%2Bway%2Bbaby%2Bvirginia%2Bslims%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den%26biw%3D906%26bih%3D662%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=376&vpy=195&dur=543&hovh=256&hovw=188&tx=81&ty=172&oei=heaVTer_FYq64AaF0KmqDA&page=1&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:8,s:0

1 comment: